Friday, September 3, 2010

The Boston Music Company Revisted

This lady standing outside The Boston Music Company was a friend of my Great Aunt Kay and I believe her name was/is Helen.

This is a picture I took of the same building located at 116 Boylston Street (that's me in the green shirt) about a week or 2 ago.
There are plenty of older buildings in Boston but what I find so fascinating about this one is that despite changing hands many times, it retains its original facade.
One could go scouring The Garment District for vintage clothes, dress up like Helen and recreate an almost identical photo 50 some odd years later on the very same spot.


Although if one did that in the evening they might be asked to leave the premesis as the old Boston Music Comapny is now an upscale cocktail bar and as the sign in the window notes:
"Proper dress is required"
I am dying to go one night just to see what it's like inside and if anything on the inside is as I remember seeing it when I was kid. My guess though, is that I would be disapointed. I recall the place packed ceiling to floor with drum kits, quitars, keyboards and sheet music as far as the eye could see.
As my favorite nights out now include a live crushing drum beat that greets you at the door and I see no stage inside The Gypsy Bar my guess is, (as if the dress code was not enough of a hint) it's just not the place for me...



1 comment:

  1. Nice picture of the outside of Boston Music. I worked there for years when I was in school as my dad was the general manager there for many years. You're right, the place was packed with instruments! Today it would be a mini-museum!

    ReplyDelete